Monday, December 29, 2008

Enroute to Phnom Pehn.

December 18th:
Several people decided to leave one day early to go see Siem Reap and Angkor Wat before meeting up with the rest of us in Phnom Pehn. For those of us who stayed, today was a physically and emotionally exhausting one but also the most rewarding on several levels. I can speak for many of us when I say that we are now physically tired. We have been working hard and playing hard for almost two weeks now. Personally, I can't remember the last time I have existed on such little sleep and I envy the drive and energy of my counterparts. The physical exertion, late nights and heat have finally caught up with me.....I am fighting the urge to close my eyes but don't for fear of not wanting to wake up for days.

As I write, we are on the bus on our way back to Phnom Pehn. I was sad to leave the peace and tranquility of Kep, the ocean, and, above all, all the new friends I have made. Boonang, our fearless driver, is honking the horn incessantly as we pass family after family piled on scooters, sometimes four or five at a time. The honking will help me stay awake. I whisper silently to myself: “Resist the temptation Rothenburger. Resist.”

Perhaps it is the tiredness, but I am feeling a little overwhelmed right now. I have seen and experienced so much in the past couple of weeks that I can't process it fast enough. I expect I will spend the next months digesting it all. I expect we all will. I feel that I have so much to say but my mind is racing faster than my fingers can type. I can scarcely complete a sentence before my thoughts have skipped ahead to my next memory, emotion and reflection.

When we get to Phnom Pehn we are all free the evening. As for me, I plan to eat, get a massage and sleep.

No comments: